Dec 15, 2011

Home Away From Home

So for some reason I got thinking today about the massive connection I have had to buildings... Buildings that I have never lived in. I'm sure a lot of kids into hardcore/punk also grow some kind of connection to the venues they go to. I think being from Brisbane has let me see a lot of different venues as they come and go, the seem to have such a short lifetime these days. I'm bored so I thought I'd write about some memories, from here and other places... For cathartic purpose... Ya know?

Princess Theatre, Brisbane
The Princess will always have a huge special spot in my heart. It was where myself and a lot of my friends cut their teeth in hardcore. It was bread and butter, especially since I moved to Brisbane right as places like The Lions Den were closing down and after/too young to go to Mary Street. Princess not only holds great memories, but it was such an awesome venue. A great stage, a big room that was never too big, security were always generally cool dudes and they would let you stage dive. I remember the head of security they used to hire, his name was Paul and he was actually one of the greatest people I've ever met. I saw so many great shows/bands at this place... Have Heart (twice), Blacklisted, Trapped Under Ice, Ceremony. The Sike Your Mind tour and a whole host of local/Australian bands. I think the second time I ever saw Break Even was at this place. The FC Five/Miles Away world tour. Thinking about this place almost brings a tear to my eye...


Chain Reaction, Anaheim CA
A video I had always seen shows of on YouTube and I was always blown away by how crazy the shows seemed there. A lot of great bands have played this venue and every show I watched on the internet always looked so fun. I finally got to go there last month when I was in America and it was such a weird experience. Being somewhere you have thought was cool for so long. I got to see Miles Away with the almighty BANE and my friends in Rotting Out with Dead End Path. Seeing Miles Away on the other side of the world ruled, especially because I wasn't the only one losing it like the show the previous night. The Rotting Out set was some of the best fun I've ever had. Everyone was moving, diving, jumping off anyone and anything. Met some great people at the show, it was probably one of my favourite nights in America.


Burst City, Brisbane
After Princess was gone there was a lot of treading water. BC was the first solid venue we had. The guys from Teargas had managed to lease a Community Services/Remembrance hall in Southbank. Such an awesome location. Every show was a party. There wasn't really a stage but there were a lot of couches to jump off. I don't think DYS's WOLFPACK will ever be covered more times at a venue. I remember it being played by multiple bands at the same show a few times. Every time Teargas played it was always insane, getting thrown across the room and ending up on a couch and not really understanding how you got there. I got to see Dangers at this place and that was a lot of fun. I don't think there were ever many shows that weren't local.


Sun Distortion, Brisbane
Sunny D was kind of the second coming of Burst City. It happened right when BC stopped putting on shows, and it was kind of just a sequel. A bunch of good dudes using an unconventional space to put on shows. Sadly this venue is now at it's end, but it was a hell of a good time. A lot of cool shows happened here... OFF played there the other week, Ringworm played there with Mindsnare, the Cruel Hand show there was amazing. So much fun in such a small place.


The Sandringham Hotel, Sydney.
I've only been to one show at The Sando but it was good fun. It was a covers show for a birthday of a friend, and it was the first interstate trip that my pals in Thick Skin ever took. Ill Brigade did one of the funniest/funnest sets in the world that night too. It kind of reminded me of The Princess, that's why I liked it so much.