Nov 24, 2011

iPhotography

So, I guess in the digital age everyone is a photographer anyway. Something I've never really thought about is phone photography. I used instagram about a year ago and no one I knew really used it so I stopped using it. A year later and it's booming, and over the past week or so I have started using it again. Sure, it's not my 7D, but I can't always take a bulky DSLR with me wherever I go, my phone is always in my pocket.

The main camera on my iPhone 4 is actually quite impressive for what it is. An 8MegaPixel camera with Autofocus which can record upto 30FPS HD (1080p) video. Compare this to a higher end point and shoot camera which my mother purchased around 10 years ago; with no video capabilities and a 5MP sensor. Throw a couple of applications into the mix and you can actually create some nice images.

Instagram is an easy to use application, the only major difference is it shoots at a 1:1 ratio, like a polariod camera. Thinking in 1:1 when you're so used to 4:3 is a little tricky. There is also no depth of field, no exposure, ISO or aperture adjustments; and certainly no photoshop/post correction. Anyway, here are some shots I have taken recently...